Taylor Swift’s Vienna concerts cancelled due to terror threat

Three Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna have been canceled due to a potential security threat.
The concerts, part of Swift’s Eras tour, were scheduled to take place on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at the Ernst Happel Stadium.
Authorities arrested two individuals on Wednesday, suspected of planning Islamist attacks on major events in the vicinity of the Austrian capital.
The concert organizers released a statement saying, “Due to confirmation by government officials of a planned terrorist attack at the Ernst Happel Stadium, we have no choice but to cancel the three planned shows for everyone’s safety.”
The statement also mentioned that all tickets would be automatically refunded within 10 working days.
Austria’s General Director for Public Security, Franz Ruf, announced that a 19-year-old Austrian citizen was arrested on Wednesday morning in Ternitz, Lower Austria.
A second suspect was arrested later in the day in Vienna, though details about this individual were not provided.
Mr. Ruf stated that the two suspects likely became radicalized online, and the 19-year-old had pledged allegiance to the so-called Islamic State at the start of July.
A large police operation ensued in Ternitz, where the 19-year-old resided, leading to the evacuation of nearby houses while his home was searched.
Chemical substances were found during the search and are currently under examination.
Austrian Chancellor Karl Nehammer expressed on X (formerly Twitter) that the cancellations were a “bitter disappointment for all fans” but emphasized that the situation was “very serious.”
He praised the swift action of Austrian police and security agencies, noting that their cooperation with foreign services helped “recognize the threat early, combat it, and prevent a tragedy.”

Vienna’s police chief, Gerhard Pürstl, noted that 65,000 people were expected to attend the concerts each day, with an additional 22,000 fans anticipated outside the venue.
Molly Surette, a fan from Leeds, UK, had been eagerly anticipating Saturday’s concert with friends, having purchased tickets over a year ago.
“When she first announced her European tours, I signed up [to try and get tickets] for as many dates as possible,” she said.
The group had been making friendship bracelets, a popular tradition among Swift’s fans, when they learned of the cancellations.
“There’s been so much building up to this concert and what the Eras tour is as a unique event to even attend,” Molly said, expressing her disappointment.
“And I’m missing that. So I’m devastated. I guess I’ll be watching the recorded one! But I’m glad everyone is hopefully going to be safe.”
Investigations are ongoing.
Source-BBC